- Please click here for a list of upcoming events:
The beef industry must be competitive in a changing global market and furnish the wider desires of modern consumers. Historically, the beef industry has lagged behind the white meat (poultry and pork) and dairy sectors, particularly in relation to food safety and also in the introduction and diversification of innovative products and processes. In this regard, critical issues related to problems in the beef chain have been identified.
- Current safety controls in the beef chain are lacking or inadequately applied and fail to prevent microbial and/or chemical contamination of beef and beef products leading to reduced confidence by consumers.
- The beef industry is populated with numerous SME's, particularly at the primary production end of the chain, and these businesses are competing for market share in a market place where commodity prices are declining.
- The production, supply and processing sectors of the beef chain are fragmented and this lack of cohesion results in a failure to adopt new and innovative technologies, products and processes.
To address these critical issues in the beef chain, the following scientific and technological objectives are established:
- To apply the tools of quantitative risk assessment to reduce microbial and chemical hazards along the beef chain (fork-to-farm) in order to maximise beef safety and enhance consumer confidence.
- To develop novel and innovative control and intervention strategies for implementation along the beef chain (fork-to-farm) to ensure the safety of beef and beef products.
- To satisfy consumer demand for choice and both invigorate and add value to the beef chain (fork-to-farm) by developing innovative beef processing techniques and innovative beef products that are safe, attractive to the customer and of high nutritional quality.
- To engage with SME's, expert collaborators from third countries and INCO partners with a vested interest in beef export to assist in delivery of the ProSafeBeef project.
- To transfer technologies and disseminate information from the RTD and ITD Pillars in the ProSafeBeef to the end users and wider stakeholders in the beef industry.
These activities will permit ProSafeBeef to deliver to the beef industry a toolbox of strategies and practice to reduce microbiological and chemical contaminants in the beef supply chain through an integrated fork-to-farm framework approach, and develop a range of novel products that are safe, convenient, of high quality and attractive to the consumer.
For more information and a list of upcoming events please visit our Technology and ProSafeBeef Event pages.
The Minute Beef:
This e-news letter is a presented as a synthesis of the most exciting and current innovations in the form of a shor... read more